Distinguished speaker Dennis Kuhl, Chairman of the Angels baseball team and Chapman University Board of Trustee, visited the Argyros School at the inauguration of the new Career Center and spoke on how to sell a brand. Here are some points he made:
- Selling a brand is a job you need to do every day and manifests itself through how you take care of your fans.
- Hire guys and gals who are smarter. He knows that social media is important but he doesn't understand it so he hires young people who are good with technology. Then he expects a return on investment and keeps them accountable.
- You've got to have fun at work as well and sometimes Dennis Kuhl surprises random fans with VIP treatment.
- They have an A+ program for which staff can be recognized for extraordinary service.
- His competition is not the Los Angeles Dodgers but the California sun. How can he convince people to spend a 100 degree day in a baseball stadium rather than at the beach.
- Give back to your community whether in money or with your time and this includes your university, in his case University of Arizona that he supports.
- College is not just about academia but also about building relationships with everyone including the members of the Biard of Trustees.
Being Swedish, I have personally followed hockey and the Ducks more closely than baseball but perhaps it is time for me to bring the family to a second Angels game 🙂